Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Personal Canon of Books


This idea was brought to me by Jillian, who encouraged me to make a list.  It has just taken me awhile.

Every avid reader has a particular and unique way of composing a personal canon.  The list is characteristic of who you are.  It says, "These are my books."

Some of these books have affected my worldview, some shook me to my core, some left an imprint on my heart, and others changed my life forever.  These books matter to me.  If I constructed my self-portrait using books, this is what it would look like; if I was marooned on an island, these are the books I would desire for my companion.  Over all, I measured my books based on how I responded to them, which makes them obviously personal.

Since every reader is distinct and every reading experience is personal, I can not stand by each one and promise that another reader would have the same encounter.  You may have a completely different result.  We may agree that a work is good because it meets certain qualifications or standards, but beyond that, it may end.  And that is ok, too.

This is my personal canon - an ever growing and evolving list that may forever be part of me.  I broke it up between fiction and non-fiction (the latter including biographies, histories, and miscellaneous).


FICTION

Alcott, Louisa May:
Little Women

Austen, Jane:
Pride and Prejudice
Persuasion

Bronte, Charlotte:
Jane Eyre

Burnett, Frances Hodgson:
The Secret Garden

Bunyan, John:
Pilgrim's Progress

Cather, Willa:
O Pioneers!
My Antonia

Cervantes:
Don Quixote

Crane, Stephen:
The Red Badge of Courage

Defoe, Daniel:
Robinson Crusoe

Dickens, Charles:
A Christmas Carol
A Tale of Two Cities
Oliver Twist

Dostoevsky, Fyodor:
Crime and Punishment

Ellison, Ralph:
Invisible Man

Fitzgerald, F. Scott:
The Great Gatsby

Flaubert, Gustave:
Madame Bovary

Forster, E.M:
Howards End

Golding, William:
Lord of the Flies

Grahame, Kenneth:
Wind in the Willows

Hardy, Thomas:
Far From the Madding Crowd
Return of the Native

Hawthorne, Nathaniel:
The Scarlet Letter

Hosseini, Khalid:
A Thousand Splendid Suns

Hurston, Zora Neale:
Their Eyes Were Watching God

Lee, Harper
To Kill a Mockingbird

Melville, Herman:
Moby-Dick

Miller, Arthur:
The Crucible

Mitchell, Margaret:
Gone with the Wind

Orwell, George:
1984

Pasternak, Boris:
Doctor Zhivago

Remarque, Erich Maria:
All Quiet on the Western Front

Stowe, Harriet Beecher:
Uncle Tom's Cabin

Twain, Mark:
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Tolstoy, Leo:
War and Peace
Anna Karenina

Wharton, Edith:
The Age of Innocence
The House of Mirth

Wilder, Laura Ingalls
Little House in the Big Woods
Little House on the Prairie
Farmer Boy
On the Banks of Plum Creek
By the Shores of Silver Lake
The Long Winter
Little Town on the Prairie
These Happy Golden Years
The First Four Years

Woolf, Virginia:
The Voyage Out

Zola, Émile:
Germinal

NON-FICTION


The Bible

Augustine:
Confessions

Bauer, Susan Wise:
The Well-Trained Mind 
The Well-Educated Mind 

Beamer, Lisa:
Let's Roll

Boom, Corrie Ten:
The Hiding Place

Bradford, William:
Of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647

Capote, Truman:
In Cold Blood

Columbus, Christopher:
The Four Voyages of Christopher Columbus

Conway, Jill Ker:
The Road from Coorain

Douglass, Frederick:
The Life and Times of Frederick Douglass

Frank, Anne:
The Diary of a Young Girl

Gatto, John Taylor:
The Underground History of American Education

Hillenbrand, Laura:
Unbroken

Jacobs, Harriet:
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl

Johnson, Paul:
A History of the American People

Lewis, C.S.:
Mere Christianity

Lewis, Meriwether & Clark, William:
The Journals of Lewis and Clark

Malcolm X:
The Autobiography of Malcolm X as Told to Alex Haley

Metaxas, Eric:
Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy
Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery

Nafisi, Azar:
Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books

Sarton, May:
Journal of a Solitude

Schaeffer, Francis:
How Shall We Then Live?

Thomas, Clarence:
My Grandfather's Son

Thoreau, Henry David:
Walden

Washington, Booker T.:
Up From Slavery

Wiesel, Elie:
Night

Woolf, Virginia:
A Room of One's Own


So . . . what is your personal canon?

19 comments:

  1. I'm SO EXCITED you did this, and so so so glad to see that Woolf made your list! AND THOREAU!! I want to read the Booker T. Washington title, & still have the May Sarton on my list at your suggestion. I'm also very interested in the Bradford and Columbus titles: I remember your entries on those. I either love or need to read every single one of your fiction titles. GONE WITH THE WIND. I'm SO HAPPY you loved that one soo much! xx

    Thanks for doing this. Wasn't it lovely to think it through and put together your list? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jillian. Yes, It was so good to put together the list. I wanted to add why I chose each one, but I'll have to add those words later b/c it will take a longer time to think about it. I probably need to revisit my posts to come up with the right explanation b/c my reading responses are truly why these books are here.

      Thanks, again.

      Delete
  2. Wow, you really went to town! I'm meaning to do this. I will. But it might take me a little while...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, wow. You put Moby Dick on your list. And I would wonder what was wrong if I hadn't seen the Little House books!

      Delete
    2. I know, I'm crazy. I added Moby Dick mostly b/c I loved the reading experience up to the very end, especially forming my argument about Melville. It was like decoding his thoughts.

      Anyway, I would love to read your canon; it does take a while to put together, especially if you want to add the reason why you chose your books.

      Delete
  3. This is so interesting. I have never considered making a personal canon of books. It's given me something to think about.

    I found your list interesting too. I know it would be a lot of work but I would love to know how each book made it to your canon.

    On a side note. I am kinda sorta certain that the man in Let's Roll stayed at my parent's house. They hosted a couple of young me who were performing in the Wheaton College choir at their church. The years are right and the guy in the book was in the Wheaton Choir. The problem is I don't remember his name but based on the photos he looks like the same person. I guess I'll never know for sure but I'll always wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to add a short blurb about why I added each one to my list, and I may do that over the summer; but for now I had to put the list together and share it. It will take me a while to articulate in the shortest way possible my feelings. The best evidence is in my posts.

      P.S. I hope you decide to do a canon. I want to see what you choose. : )

      The man from Let's Roll is Todd Beamer. He and his wife, Lisa, attended Wheaton. He was an athlete, but for some reason I cannot remember if Lisa mentioned the choir. She may have. I wouldn't be surprised b/c he was a faithful believer. You should ask your parents if they remember him. And I think you would love his and Lisa's story very much (assuming you have not read Let's Roll, yet).

      Delete
  4. Truly a great list of books. Many would be on my own "Canon". Perhaps I will follow your lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let me know when you get a list together.

      Delete
  5. Ruth, we have so many titles in common!
    I'm so glad Germinal has made it here.
    Moby Dick & The Scarlet Letter are a bit surprise, though. I didn't think you enjoyed them that much.
    I still haven't time to read The Walden, Willa Cather, and Pilgrim's Progress. Maybe after this moving house business is over, I would be able to spend more time reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,, The Scarlet Letter made me mad - well, Hawthorne's motives made me mad, but it was an effective read nonetheless. Even if a book makes me mad, like Malcolm X, it may still be important. If a book elicits negative emotion, it may be for good reason. I want to read both MD and SL again; that means they are worthy.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful selection, you have created a great list.
    I still remember 2 books that left a lasting impressions on me: 'Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books' (A.Nafisi) and Invisible Man (R. Ellison)
    Congratulations on a great personal canon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy. Yes, Reading Lolita and Invisible Man are excellent.

      Delete
  7. I've already commented on this post but it hasn't shown up?? Anyhow, great idea, Ruth. Must have a think about this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no, Carol. I didn't see it. Something must have happened. Sorry. Anyway, it is something to think about after years of reading. It's a lot of fun to put together, too.

      Delete
  8. "If I constructed my self-portrait using books, this is what it would look like" - I love that! Such a good way of putting it :)

    I see you have Cather on your list - I've STILL not read Carther. Can't explain why. Must try and get one of these two books you've listed.

    I'm planning on reading Augustine's Confessions quite soon - looking forward to it.

    Interesting you picked Voyage Out by Woolf - I know quite a few Woolf fans who think that's the weakest. I like it though; I do prefer the 1920s Woolf, but that doesn't make Voyage Out less good. I personally don't think it's weak, far from it.

    Stephen Crane's another one who has passed me by - will have to look out for him too :)

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, o.

      I know Voyage Out is one of Woolf's more conventional stories, but that is probably why I enjoyed it more than her stream of conscious works.

      Yes, I saw that you are planning to read Augustine, and I was going to tell you good luck. It's an impressive read. I thought my head would explode, but in a good way. : )

      Delete
  9. A magnificent list. I was supposed to do this to, but Jillian's "gone dark" and I've lost some of the motivation. I've ready many of yours, and concur with most, so I'll comment on only one. The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. I've actually been to the hiding place, The Corrie Ten Boom museum above the jewelers (no long Ten Boom Jewelers). I was stationed some years ago in The Netherland (land of my forefathers), and we made sure to visit Haarlem and the CTB house/museum. The part I mentioned as sad, was that we asked Dutch folks in Haarlem where the Ten Boom house was, and most did not know, nor did they know what it was. It is sad to me, that the Diary of Anne Frank is so well known, and The Hiding Place is not. BTW - it is possibly the only "tourist attraction" I've ever visited where I heard a clear presentation of the Gospel. It was a thrill nonetheless. Again...nice list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joseph. I know Jillian's blog is temporarily out of commission, but you can still do this. You'd have an amazing list, I suspect.

      The Netherlands is changing drastically, so I am not surprised by your story. True, Anne Frank gets more recognition, but those of us who know Corrie Ten Boom's story are equally blessed. She represents those who risked their lives to save others; it is not a coincidence that her story was preserved.

      Delete